Lunch time. I look at a plastic bag in the hallway, given to me by my granddad. The plastic bag is filled with fresh walnuts. Beautiful, delicious walnuts from the walnut tree in my grandparents’ garden. While I am thinking of a way to use them for lunch, I search my kitchen cabinets and the fridge for ingredients to combine them with. This salad is the delicious result of my granddad’s gift and my search for ingredients to combine the walnuts with.
[Klik hier voor het Nederlandse recept]
ARAGULA SALAD WITH BALSAMIC STRAWBERRIES AND TOASTED WALNUTS
THIS IS WHAT YOU NEED (yields 1 serving)
– a handful of aragula/rocket
– a handful of a lettuce mixture of your choice
– 1 tbsp olive oil
– 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
– some basil leaves (cut
– 5 strawberries
– 5 walnuts (cracked)
– a pinch of sea salt and freshly ground pepper
– 1/2 red onion
– some grated parmesan cheese (for the non-vegan version of the salad, obviously)
– 1 tsp honey (don’t use it if you don’t like the salad to be sweet(er) or if you want it to be vegan)
– small bowl
– medium sized bowl
THIS IS WHAT YOU HAVE TO DO
1. Take the small bowl and mix the balsamic vinegar, honey and basil leaves.
2. Slice the strawberries and add them to the small bowl with the balsamic vinegar and honey mixture.
3. Toast the cracked walnuts in the skillet, over medium heat, for about 3 minutes. Do not let them get burnt!
4. Take a handful of aragula/rocket, and a handful of your other lettuce mixture and put it in the medium-sized bowl. Mix well and sprinkle with olive oil. Also add a pinch of sea salt and pepper.
5. Optional: slice the red onion and add it to the salad.
6. Add the balsamic strawberries and walnut to the aragula/lettuce mixture and mix well.
7. Optional: add grated parmesan cheese.