Quinoa is hot and happening right now. Over here, in The Netherlands, it was even sold out for a while and the constantly growing demand is driving up its price (which makes me unhappy). But what exactly is the reason for its popularity? Why do people like it so much? Let me tell you a little about quinoa and you will know why.
Even though many assume quinoa is a grain (because of its look, I guess) and use it to substitute rice or couscous, it is actually a seed. Being a seed, quinoa is gluten free and does not contain any other allergens whatsoever. In addition, it’s packed with proteins, vitamins B2 and E, and it contains minerals like iron, copper and magnesium.
Quinoa has a light structure (lighter than couscous I believe) and a slightly nutty flavor, which makes it a great base for a salad and it gives an amazing accent, in terms of flavor.
[klik hier voor het Nederlandse recept]
THIS IS WHAT YOU NEED (yields 2 servings)
– 100-140 gr uncooked quinoa
– 1 avocado (diced)
– 2 tomatoes (diced)
– 1 very small onion (cut in 1/2 rings)
– handful of pine nuts
– juice of 1/2 lime
– sea salt
– medium sized bowl or plate
THIS IS WHAT YOU HAVE TO DO
1. Wash and cook the quinoa for 10-12 minutes. You will need about 250 mL of water for 100 gr of uncooked quinoa.
2. Meanwhile, roast the pine nuts in a skillet until they are golden brown. Set aside.
3. Put the quinoa in a bowl or on a plate and add the diced avocado, tomatoes and onion.
4. Finally add roasted pine nuts, lime juice and season with sea salt and pepper. Enjoy!