This is the second post in the recently started series on alternative breakfasts and as you might have seen, it’s about granola. Instead of bread, I love to have some (soy) yoghurt with granola. I started making it myself last summer, but even after adding honey or maple syrup, it wasn’t crunchy. At all. And that crunchiness happens to be my favorite thing about granola. So I decided it’s about time to come up with a new, improved recipe for crunchy granola. I threw in all (really, not some, but all) my favorite ingredients, which happen to have great complementary tastes.
Let me just mention a few advantages of this granola. For a start, it is suitable for a gluten free, dairy free, vegan and vegetarian diet. Now we made sure basically everyone can have this granola. Next, the rolled oats and cinnamon will maintain the right level of blood sugar, so you won’t feel hungry for quite a while. Lastly, the shredded coconut and apricots are a great source of fibre, which will keep your digestive system on track.
[Klik hier voor het Nederlandse recept]
CRUNCHY GRANOLA WITH CRANBERRIES, APRICOTS, COCONUT AND MORE
THIS IS WHAT YOU NEED (yields about 8 servings)
– 200 gr (gluten free) rolled oats
– 100 gr raw nuts (almonds, for example)
– 75 gr (unsulphured) dried apricots
– 50 gr dried cranberries
– 25 gr shredded unsweetened coconut
– 2 tsp ground cinnamon
– pinch of sea salt
– 75 gr coconut oil, melted
– 4 tbsp (50 gr) agave syrup (or honey)
– 1 tsp vanilla extract
– medium bowl
– baking tray
THIS IS WHAT YOU HAVE TO DO
1. Preheat oven to 150 degrees Celsius
2. Mix all dry ingredients (first seven ingredients of the list) in a mixing bowl
3. Mix all wet ingredients (last three ingredients of the list) and add to the dry ingredient mixture. Mix well.
5. Put the mixture into the baking tray
6. Put the baking tray into a preheated oven (150 degrees Celsius) and bake for about 15 minutes
7. Let the baked granola cool down completely after baking
8. When the granola has been cooled down completely you can break it in pieces, and store it in an airtight container.
9. Serve with (soy) yoghurt and enjoy!