Every now and then I go to the ecological store to get one of my favorite snacks: coconut bars with almonds. They are absolutely delicious and I like the fact that they have two of my all time favorite ingredients: coconut and almonds. Coconut is considered very healthy because it’s packed with fibre, just like almonds. Other health benefits of almonds are that they contain a lot of vitamin E and they are great for the level of cholesterol and for your blood pressure.
Once I got to know the many health benefits of both coconut and almonds (they are also vegan, vegetarian, gluten free, dairy free, etc.), I liked those coconut bars even more and started buying them on a regular basis. Great for my health, I assume, but not that great for my bank account. So I decided to make my own coconut bars, and what’s better than sharing the recipe?
COCONUT BARS WITH ALMOND AND CHOCOLATE
THIS IS WHAT YOU NEED (yields approximately 10 bars)
For the bars
– 70 gr shredded (unsweetened) coconut
– 100 gr almonds
– 140 gr coconut oil (melted)
– 2 tbsp agave syrup or honey (optional)
– pinch of sea salt
For the chocolate syrup
– 25 gr coconut oil (melted)
– 2 tbsp raw cacao powder
– 1-2 tbsp agave syrup or honey
– food processor (optional)
– cake tin
– baking paper
THIS IS WHAT YOU HAVE TO DO
1. Crush almonds in food processor or with a sharp knife.
2. Mix almonds with shredded coconut, add the (140 gr) melted coconut oil, sea salt and optional agave syrup or honey. Mix well.
3. Put a sheet of baking paper in the cake tin and add the mixture to the tin, and let it cool in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, add 2 tbsp of (raw) cacao powder and 1-2 tbsp agave syrup to the rest of the melted coconut oil (should be 25 gr). It should cool a little and become more syrupy and viscous before using it.
5. Take the cake tin out of the refrigerator and cut around 10 bars. You can leave them in the baking tin or take them out.
6. Pour the syrup on the coconut bars and let it cool in the refrigerator for about 15 minutes before serving.